In PrintoCent, companies get easy access to new business development and pilot manufacturing resources for the introduction of printed intelligence components, systems and products, from pilot production to early market trials. Application focus areas range from rapid disposable diagnostics, smart flexible lighting and wearables to Internet-of-Things with sensors and energy harvesting. PrintoCent has wide global reach with its international member companies and partners. In Oulu region more than 300 experts are available in research and in industry. The funding to start-up companies has exceeded 40 M€ and the turnover of companies in the field is over 25 M€. VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, University of Oulu, Oulu University of Applied Sciences, and Business Oulu are the founding members of PrintoCent. The way of working in PrintoCent is based on regular Cluster Meetings and project based operations. The overall programme is coordinated by VTT.
PrintoCent provides a world class design, development and manufacturing environment for Printed Intelligence having a special focus on Roll-to-Roll (R2R) and hybrid manufacturing and optical measurements for quality assurance. Offering examples include:
– Pilot scale manufacturing trials
– Factory planning and construction, machinery selection
– Product technical design and device integration
– Production ramp-up support
– Quality and performance audits
Facilities at PrintoCent founding member sites are:
– VTT: MAXI pilot production, Hybrid integration, Over-moulding read more
– OUAS PrinLab: Sampo R2R printing line read more
– Oulu University: Lab scale machines and testing devices read more
The main focus of PrintoCent activities is to create novel components, products and solutions enabled by printed intelligence technologies and combine them with other rising technologies such as 3D printing and textile manufacturing. This disruption in product development will form new value chains, new companies and new business models. PrintoCent Industrial Cluster has about 40 members. Cluster companies represent different parts of the value chains enabling commercialization of novel products and services and we are looking for new members to complement the field of applications, design & manufacturing competences, and machinery & quality assurance offering.
Application focus areas in PrintoCent range from rapid disposable diagnostics, smart flexible lighting and wearables to Internet-of-Things with sensors and energy harvesting. With the multitude of possibilities there are great opportunities to new type of products and to disrupt existing value chains in all industries.
Key activities forming the PrintoCent Innovation Accelerator and responsible for the growth of an efficient ecosystem around printed intelligence include:
– Education – Oulu based universities offer a range of graduate courses and education programmes around printed intelligence.
– Resources – Attraction of experienced resources to re-education courses and students to choose MSc and BSc thesis themes in printed intelligence.
– Research – multidisciplinary excellence and strong co-operation, global partners
– Open Innovation events – annual PrintoCent InnoFest and PrintoCent Design Competitions plus 24-hour Design workshops on demand on special topics
– PRINSE –seminar – every second year to gather together the industrial community
Since 2010 more than 30 start-up companies have been established in the field, more than 200 experienced people have participated in 8-week Printed Intelligence Entrepreneurship Training and at the moment there are over 100 researchers and over 200 employed in companies in the Oulu region.
Printocent Logos (formats: jpg, png, pdf, eps, illustrator)
Printocent | VTT, Kaitoväylä 1, 90571 Oulu, Finland